Jan 8, 2012

Hard Work

NIGHT ONE:
The first night was spent at the hospital and it went just about as smooth as possible.
The nurses offer to take the baby to the nursery
for the night to allow momma to catch some rest.
But I declined their offer and told them I was comfortable with keeping her bedside.
Well, after a couple hours, I changed my mind.
Not because it was hard. Not because she was crying.
Only because every time I would shut my eyes I
would wake up in a state of panic less than five minutes later.
I just had this feeling of anxiety and had to check to make sure she was doing okay.
The nurses took her for a few hours and around 3:00 a.m. I requested for her back.

NIGHT TWO:
Still ecstatic and both of us feeling like little kids on Christmas
we decided to sleep in the living room. We brought out the bassinet,
made ourselves cozy on the couch, and everyone quickly fell asleep.
It wasn't until about 1:00 a.m. that Lyla woke up and
the only thing that kept her from crying was lying in my arms.
Every time I tried to set her back in her bassinet she would cry.
I rocked her in the recliner all night long.
I was beyond delirious, but I really didn't mind.

NIGHT THREE:
We moved the bassinet and made our nest for the night in the guest room.
The bed is lower, making it easier to get in and out.
It stays warmer in there, there is a larger end table,
and a better TV for mom and dad.
She slept from 1:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. and after a feeding,
fell back asleep until 8:30 a.m.
That was perfect. I could definitely get used to nights like these.

NIGHT FOUR:
Since things went so well in the guest room the night before, we decided to try for round two.
Unfortunately, things were a bit different.
She wasn't very happy when we tried to put her down the first time....
after a short nap, she woke up more angry than ever.
Kirk happily took over trying to soothe the upset baby because I was so exhausted.
I hate hearing her so upset, so tried to assist,
but Kirk kept pointing me back to the bedroom and said he could handle it.
I just love him. He tried everything.
I breast fed before going to back to sleep.
Then Kirk tried a bottle. Then tried her pacifier. Her diaper was dry.
She didn't like being rocked sitting down. She didn't like being rock standing up.
Kirk eventually got her to sleep around 4:30.
It sounds like the night was a very long one
and Kirk got to experience the deliriousness.
She woke up at 7:30, I fed her and then she slept until 11:00 a.m.
That was nice. Thanks Kirk for allowing me to get some sleep.
This is hard work.
Is four days too soon to ask for a consistent routine? Yes it is. I know.
She is improving with breastfeeding,
but we still aren't quite connecting the way we're supposed to.
We will see what's in store for night five....

NIGHT FIVE:
I love my baby.
For the second time since being home, she slept a good stretch through the night.
From 2:00 a.m. until about 6:00 a.m. everyone in the house was sound asleep.
I fed her this morning and then she fell back asleep in my arms until 11:00 a.m.

Also, another milestone.
I lost seven pounds over the weekend.
Still not anywhere near the weight I am aiming to get back to, but it's progress.
And I fit into a pair of my pre-pregnancy jeans.
They are very tight and giving me a very flattering muffin top,
but the point is that I buttoned them up!!!

NIGHT SIX:
Another success. Lyla slept until 5:00 a.m.
woke up for a feeding and went back asleep until 9:00 a.m.
Today was our first day without Kirk and although it
was more difficult without him here, but we managed.
Were happy to have him back home this evening!

NIGHT SEVEN:

Is it too soon to say we are already establishing a night time routine?
She woke up again early this morning, ate, and fell back asleep.

Already one week old today, and although I feel overwhelmed at times,
it is getting easier with each passing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment