My mom spent nearly a week with us and it's been so much fun having her in Texas. My mom is in a fierce competition with Kirk's mom to win the title as "favorite grandma." It's an amusing race to watch, as no request to play Barbies gets denied by my mom. I know from experience that Lyla's persistence can get old, yet my mom always seems willing. She even brought a new polygamist story line to the pretend world of Barbies. I guess that's what happens when the ratio of girl to boy Barbies is unbalanced and grandma partakes in a few glasses of wine. My mom and I were able to sneak out one night to get massages. It was incredibly relaxing and my mom even commented that the massage was better than any she ever received while vacationing in Bali. That's because massages in Texas come with happy endings, of course.
We ate at a lot of new yummy restaurants. We shopped at every store imaginable within reasonable distance. We enjoyed Easter brunch at Charli's, including an egg hunt for the kiddos. Then we spent Easter afternoon at the movie theater. We took Lyla on a date to see Cinderella. It was her first full length movie at the theater. She was a bit wiggly and asked at least one million questions. It's probably how Kirk feels when he watches a movie with me. Lol. She kept asking why Cinderella wasn't in her fancy dress and she probably would have been more interested in an animated movie. Then the fairy godmother finally made an appearance and Lyla was captivated. She definitely likes magic! I thought it was a great movie, but it's a childhood favorite for me so I was an easy sell. They did a good job of following the classic plot, making only a few changes.
I will be sad to say goodbye to my mom tomorrow, but we recently made the decision to go to Idaho early next month so at least it won't be long before I see her again. I feel like we have all been on a permanent sugar high since my birthday. It's a pretty gross feeling and I'm looking forward to dumping all the random treats in the garbage. And saying goodbye to the plethora of Easter candy. Bleh. Also, it pains me to say that Lyla has turned into one of those entitled bratty children who believes she deserves a toy every time we venture into a store. It's not me that has the issue saying no to her, it's all these people over 40 that have been rolling in! It's been great having the grandparents come visit, but they really go overboard on trying to make up for lost time. I appreciate them for spoiling them with toys, treats, and mostly their love. However, I think the back to back spoiling causes some issues. It will likely take a few weeks to reverse the damage that's been done. I'm sure Lyla will be as miserable as a 16 year old without an iPhone. It's going to equally as miserable for me to listen to her whine.
I know I was treated like royalty by my grandparents, but it's a lot different when you're in the parental seat. This is probably my parents way of getting their revenge and I imagine I will have the urge to act the same way as a grandparent. My mom also entertained the idea of sending her daughter [me] to timeout for being naughty and was sure to include Lyla on this process. I have a feeling Lyla is going to be calling grandma to tattle on me for weeks to come. That reminds me, my dad taught Lyla the phrase "talk to the hand, cause the face doesn't want to hear it." during his visit. Honestly. What is wrong with these people!? They are trying to sabotage me!!!
Our marathon continues in a few days for one more stretch, as one of the biggest competitor's of all is making her way to Texas. We will be saddling up for another week of fun before we can settle down again. Then we will have to get ready for Idaho in a few short weeks...yikes! I hope I have it in me! It's not even summer yet and the excitement just keeps rolling in. I truly do love it. It's always worth it. However, I think it's apparent that I've become comfortable with our solitude and simple routine we've established in Texas. As I've said before, I think routine just works better for toddlers. I can enjoy the madness just as much, it just tends to be more work.
PS. Despite my bribing/begging/pleading, Lyla picked out her own shoes to wear for Easter. She wanted to match her dad and Max in their Nikes, of course. I feel strongly about letting my kids express themselves as they choose. It's tough sometimes, but I generally enjoy watching their choices evolve. The only time I really object is on holidays. And even though I hate it, I have to remind myself that it isn't that big of deal and surrender to their wishes.
Hakuna Matata.







My kids received a 'sugar high in a box' from grandma in the mail today. Happy Easter to all of us. It's what they do. I've now watched 16 years of it! Hakana Matata indeed!
ReplyDeleteGreat Blog! Liked reading it!! Glad everyone's doing well and had a happy Easter! I think Lyla's shoes looked great!
ReplyDelete