Mar 30, 2014

Happy Birthday to the Mom

It's funny how I don't ever give any thought to my age until my actual birthday. The years keep cruising by and although I don't feel old, it does feel slightly shocking to say '25' out loud.  I'm 25 years old. I've officially hit the plateau of my mid-20's.

I always thought 25 sounded like such a glorious age to be, but the truth is I don't feel any different than I have at any other birthday. However, my grandpa pointed out to me that no matter how old I feel, in the eyes of my children I will always be "old." There is some truth to that & very funny to think about it from their perspective.

I stared at myself for awhile in the mirror today. I think most people look at themselves in the mirror every day, but how often do you actually take a good look at yourself. I know it's rare for me. But today I got up close and personal. I found some smile lines and wrinkles which appear to be developing in the outer creases of my eyes. Also, I was shocked to discover that I have mom hands.  [not to be confused with man hands]

I'm not getting all rattled about this aging thing. I think it's a beautiful thing. I can't wait for my first face lift. Botox here I come! Oh, I'm kidding. I do, however, like to joke that 25 is the oldest I've ever been. It literally is. I have never been older than I am right now.

Overall, my birthday weekend was pretty grand. I went to Target. Alone. That is the best gift I could ever ask for, really.  I shopped for a swimsuit and declared I might be at a point in my life that swimsuit shopping is no longer something to look forward to. My brain has switched gears in comparison to a few years ago. I picture my role this summer as being a life guard, rather than posing in as a swimsuit model while I basically beg the hot sun to give me skin cancer. This summer, I can't have anything flapping, folding, or falling out while I'm rubbing babies down with sunscreen or pretending to be a shark under water.  As such, my mom brain had me seeking (non-maternity) practical & secure swim gear.


Charli baked me a cake. It was amazing and delicious. I've graduated from one box of candles, which holds 24. It will be awhile before I require three boxes, at which point I will likely set off the smoke alarm when I blow out the candles.



Then on Sunday we ventured to the big city for some lunch and a little exploring. We visited a tree hugger grocery market without any complaints from Kirk. We stopped by a tequila bar that infuses their liquor with any flavor you could think of. And lastly, we stopped by a chocolate bar that makes chocolate in every color, shape, & form you could think of. 







There's a lot more of downtown Houston I would like to check out. It will get easier to do so as the babies grow older and when the time comes for me to get reacquainted with the working class of my generation, I could see myself crossing streets with the businessmen of downtown. There could be a law firm down there that needs me & just doesn't know it yet!

But for now, I'll continue to enjoy my yoga pants. my mac & cheese lunches. my park play dates. my disney channel marathons. my diaper battles with max. my outfit wars with lyla. & the endless snuggles from my two babies.

Life sure is wonderful. Thanks to all for the birthday wishes!


 photo kailisig3_zpsdd012512.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment