Lyla and Max are enjoying school and despite them being in separate classes, they have remained best friends. For the most part, they really don't get to see each other during school hours. They aren't reunited until after school when all classes combine into one big group for extended care. Typically they only play in extended care for 15-20 minutes while I wrap up my day and get ready to go home, but it's just long enough to give the extended care teacher a glimpse into the special bond they share.
The extended care teacher stopped me one afternoon specifically to tell me how much she admires Lyla and Max. She told me she has never witnessed siblings who take care of each other the way they do. They always embrace with a big hug after school and continue to play together until it's time to go home. She said Lyla is very protective over Max and is constantly looking after him. It made my heart happy. The reality is they fight just as hard as they love, but apparently they save that for home and protect each other out in the real world. It's pure goodness.
That same day Lyla and Max were sitting at the kitchen counter as I cooked dinner. I heard Lyla say to Max, "Do you want to get married?" I couldn't control my laughter, so Lyla looked up at me and said, "Mom, I didn't mean right now. I mean when we grow up." Haha! These are the moments of motherhood I love the most.
We were preparing to leave for school this morning when Lyla greeted me in the kitchen. She was wearing a dress paired with one tie dye green sock and one white sock with a heart on it. I complimented her dress choice, but suggested she return to her bedroom to pick out a pair of matching socks. I was certain she had more options available. She protested this request. I continued to encourage her to change her mind. Then she said one thing that instantly won the battle. She said, "Mom, it doesn't matter what my socks look like. The most important thing is the love in my heart." The "love in your heart" phrase is something I say to my kids quite often, but I'm grateful she reminded me of my own philosophy. And from that moment forward I supported the decision of the mismatching socks. The life lessons in parenting and childhood are continuously interchangeable.
This is our after school couch cuddle session,
which has been known to last anywhere from thirty minutes to two hours. Ha!




No comments:
Post a Comment