I thought my Friday evening was going to be quiet and relaxing like usual.
With the exception of going to dinner with some friends,
I imagined myself uncomfortably positioned on my couch,
watching the hours pass, and wishing this little girl would hurry up.
I was in for a surprise.
Already feeling full and a bit lethargic after the ungodly
Already feeling full and a bit lethargic after the ungodly
amounts of bread they provide at Johnny Carino's,
everyone was chatting while waiting for our meals.
My surprise started by Kirk giving a toast,
which I thought was a bit out of the ordinary,
but I figured it's the holidays,
and it's a rare occasion for all of our friends to get together,
so I just went with it.
so I just went with it.
After he gave a toast he began expressing his love
for me at an above average tone of voice.
I think he started by saying, "Kaili, you're the best."
My short response was, "thanks, you're the best too..."
and at that point, I was thinking,
why is he telling me this stuff at the dinner table?
for me at an above average tone of voice.
I think he started by saying, "Kaili, you're the best."
My short response was, "thanks, you're the best too..."
and at that point, I was thinking,
why is he telling me this stuff at the dinner table?
And why is he talking so loud?
Did the waitress put something in his drink?
Awkward....
I tried to ignore him by engaging in conversation with someone else,
but my attention was brought right back to Kirk
Did the waitress put something in his drink?
Awkward....
I tried to ignore him by engaging in conversation with someone else,
but my attention was brought right back to Kirk
as he pulled out his chair and got on one knee.
Finally, I realized what was happening.
Kirk proposed. Kaili said yes. Ring goes on finger.
Holy crap! Did I just become engaged?!
Kirk proposed. Kaili said yes. Ring goes on finger.
Holy crap! Did I just become engaged?!
I was still trying to wrap my head around why he was acting so strange.
It was too late to call the grandparents,
It was too late to call the grandparents,
but we immediately called other close relatives and friends to tell them the good news.
I think the best reaction was from Kirk's mother,
I think the best reaction was from Kirk's mother,
who screamed for a good 10 seconds straight.
I am really happy and can't believe how caught off guard I was.
I am really happy and can't believe how caught off guard I was.
Marriage is something we have always discussed
and assumed would just eventually happen,
but I definitely was not expecting him to propose....
and assumed would just eventually happen,
but I definitely was not expecting him to propose....
at a restaurant, in front of everyone for that matter.
I always thought Kirk might try to weasel out of the proposal
I always thought Kirk might try to weasel out of the proposal
and skip right to the wedding part.
I'm glad he did it the "proper" way.
Also, I'm sure a lot of you old fashioned folk feel better about referring to us as "engaged,"
rather than having to hear the term "boyfriend/girlfriend" roll off your tongue.
Still an un-wed pregnancy though...oh, shame shame. :-)
WHooHOO! But I already screamed that, didn't I?! Lol! You guys are cute!
ReplyDelete