Dec 3, 2014

Holiday Cheer

With our Christmas tree assembled & decorated, we are officially feeling the Christmas spirit. It's only been up for three days and I've already noticed the ornaments within toddler reach are slowly getting moved to the top half of the tree. Ha! There is never a dull moment living with these two monkeys.  It will look even more glorious with a giant pile of presents underneath, which will emerge over the next few weeks.

I am pleasantly surprised that I am looking forward to spending the holiday in Texas this year. I really thought it would take longer than two years for that mindset to change. It is always wonderful going back to Idaho to spend time with family, but overall it's just exhausting and overwhelming for the kids. We are still urging family to head south instead, but it doesn't look like we will have any guests until after the new year. It's okay. I am learning to appreciate the low-key holiday gatherings. 


I think one of the greatest things new parents look forward to is the joy on their child's face on Christmas morning. That first year is always a disappointment since babies are oblivious to the festivities. There is a lot of work that goes into being Santa and I think this year I will finally experience the Christmas morning excitement I've been waiting for. Lyla mentions Christmas at least once a day. She totally understands the Santa concept and is happy to point out Max's naughty behavior when necessary. I'm curious if she will fear Santa in real life, as she did last year. 

I am trying to avoid sending the message to Lyla that Christmas is all about presents. It's a hard balance since I am so excited about giving her the most awesome Christmas ever. It makes me feel all warm & nostalgic. But as she gets older, I hope she realizes how fortunate she is. I hope she is grateful. And I hope she is humble about it. For now, she is only three, so there is still time for damage control if she displays signs of being spoiled rotten. 

With this in mind, I explained to her in very simple terms that some kids don't have toys like she does and since we need to make room for the new toys Santa is going to bring, I asked if she wanted to give away some of her old toys. Well. She  immediately burst into REAL tears and said "No, I will miss my toys!" Then just a few moments later, she changed her mind. "Yeah mom. That's a good idea. Let's give my toys to our neighbor." Haha! What!? Hmm I am wondering how her train of thought led her to believe our neighbors were in need of toys. But hey! It's a start. 

Note: This will also apply to Max, but he's hasn't quite passed that line of oblivion. He's getting close though! 

 photo kailisig3_zpsdd012512.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment