Sep 14, 2015

The Hooligans

The weather has been cooler in the mornings and evenings, making it so nice for playing outside. We have been loving it. The kids played in the backyard for so long on Sunday that I had to keep checking to make sure nobody was injured or dead. They finally came in after nearly two hours and the first thing I noticed was the stinkiest smell coming from both of their tiny bodies. Bath time was definitely necessary. I asked Lyla what game they were playing for so long and she informed me they were playing airport. No further details were provided. Lol.

They are the funniest little people recently. Our brother-in-law, Jarem, is in town from Idaho and stopped by for a few hours on Sunday to watch some football. Lyla talked his ear off for so long that I was beginning to feel bad for him. She gets in these moods sometimes where she just talks and talks and talks and talks. I find my ears zoning in and out when she gets in these excessively chatty moods, often looking at the clock wondering how much longer she could possibly keep it going. Kirk admitted to bailing on Jarem for a few minutes only because he needed a break from Lyla. The fact that he was hiding from his talkative daughter made me giggle. 

The same crazy day, Max was creating his own madness. I was making dinner when I heard him throwing the Barbie car against the carpeted landing on our stairs. It went on for a few minutes, when I finally approached him and asked him to please stop. He wasn't really doing anything wrong, it was just very loud and repetitive. He continued a few minutes later and I approached him again to ask what the heck he was doing. He gave me the most hilarious look and said, "Hulk Smash." I wish there was a way to describe this moment better, definitely had to be there. His expression and tone of voice was perfect. I laughed so hard that I decided to let him continue being Hulk Smash. It was obviously an important mission. 

Then my last funny story happened at bedtime, no surprise there. These kids always try to work the system at bedtime. Anyway, we had already tucked both of them in when we heard the inevitable open of Max's door. It's his new thing to exit his bedroom and then run back in whenever he sees someone coming up the stairs. It's cute...until it goes on until 10:00 pm. He eventually crawls back into bed and goes to sleep without asking for assistance, so that's nice at least. I'm sure it's just another superhero mission in his mind. 

Anyway, on this particular night we heard some unusual noises, so Kirk went upstairs prepared to give the typical "get back in bed" lecture. He found Lyla & Max both standing near their own doorways, whispering across the hall. Big sisters get blamed for everything, so naturally Kirk questioned Lyla first. She replied that she just wanted to see Max one more time before bed. She must have sensed her dad's heart swell a bit, because she followed that remark by asking if Max could sleep in her bed. Kirk complied, against his better judgment, under the condition that they must stay in bed. They agreed and seemed so excited. We heard them talking for awhile longer and eventually there was silence, but when I went to check on them before taking myself to bed Max had returned to his own room. I can't say when or why. I'm realizing there is a lot that goes on that I have no idea about. Regardless, I'm so thankful these two hooligans have each other. 








 photo kailisig3_zpsdd012512.jpg

2 comments: