Feb 6, 2016

My Name Is...

The Children's Museum has become one of our frequent daytime activities since moving to Texas. It's the perfect place for us to spend some time when the weather makes it difficult to play outside. I can remember taking Lyla there with just the two of us when she was still a wobbly walker. We couldn't spend more than five minutes in each station before she would wonder off to the next. And Maxwell started his museum adventures as a sleeping baby in a carrier and now he runs around like he owns the place. It is yet another example of how our dynamic has evolved and [for once] it isn't one I'm crying about. We have a lot of fun at the museum. They are at the prime age to enjoy all it has to offer!

The pictures below are from our most recent visit. I always enjoy watching Lyla as she makes friends wherever we go, whereas when she was younger it was nothing more than just playing alongside with other kids. This week I noticed she was connecting with a little girl very well as they bounced around from the grocery store to the fire station together. I've been talking to Lyla a lot lately about introducing herself and asking for a name upon meeting new friends. She's becoming quite familiar with that common exchange, but on that particular day as we were leaving she said "I didn't want to tell my new friend my name today." Puzzled, I asked her why. It totally was not what I was expecting when she said "because people always say why-wuh" --- which is because that is how Lyla pronounces her own name, including when she introduces herself to other people. Haha! It appeared her feelings were a combo of being bummed out and annoyed. It's a sad day when you don't want to share your name because you haven't quite mastered the 'L' sound yet. I almost feel guilty for still thinking it's so cute!







*Please note: This is our local Children's Museum and not the giant one located in Houston. 

 photo kailisig3_zpsdd012512.jpg

2 comments:

  1. The Children's Museum here in Salt Lake is always a favorite amongst our friends. It's so cute to watch them play and learn how to socialize with other children. I have a cousin who had the same problem and would get very upset when people said his name "woe-gan" instead of "Logan". He would get angry and say "it's not 'woe-gan', it's 'woe-gan'!!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jordan, that's exactly what Lyla does too. Makes me laugh every time.

      Delete