Jul 7, 2016

Happy Birthday America!

We had such a fun holiday weekend celebrating the 4th of July with family and friends. Who do I need to talk to about extending every weekend to three full days? I know quite a few people who would sign up for something like that. Regardless, I'm grateful for any additional quality time we can soak up together. 

We purchased a mildly entertaining amount of fireworks to light off for the kiddos. I determined Max as dangerously fascinated with the process, whereas Lyla was fearful enough to watch from the back seat of Olivia's car. That's the typical dynamic when it comes to those two, although I don't recall Lyla having any issue with fireworks in the past. One thing I always look forward to the most this holiday is poppers and snakes. Simple, yet classic...and completely necessary. It stirs up my favorite kind of nostalgia and it was imperative we find those two items. I have a secret stash that should get me through the next few weeks. Kirk is having a real great time making fun of me. 

We skipped out on the parade and firework show mostly due to lack of parking and the unavoidable infestation of irritating humans. I don't have any childhood attachment to those traditions in Texas which made it easier, but I think I would feel more inclined to attend such patriotic activities if they were within walking distance. Thankfully our kids are unaware these events even exist, so they didn't really get a vote. Kirk's vote was a definite no. And it's freaking hot. There's always next year, or never! 

We spent the actual holiday at home enjoying a pool extravaganza with family and friends. I think we are getting maximum usage out of our new pool this summer and it's been a real treat. We all stuffed our faces with some summertime favorites including piles of meat prepared by Grill Master Kirk, bottomless snow cones, and themed desserts. We ended our day with smores...fresh off the stove. Haha! It feels good to be an American.











 photo kailisig3_zpsdd012512.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment