Jul 15, 2014

Max's First Hair Cut

Kirk finally discovered a way to punish me for going to Target. I'm kidding. Well. Kind of.

I left the house Saturday night with an actual purpose [<- rare] for going to Target and when I returned I was shocked to see Max sitting on the bathroom counter and Kirk buzzing his hair. Max was very content, just watching in the mirror with a look of admiration on his face. 

My immediate question to Kirk was, "what in the world are you doing?!?" 

In a very Kirk-esque fashion he responded with, 
"What does it look like I'm doing? I'm cutting his hair." 


I don't think Kirk expected this simple procedure to make me so emotional. It is just hair. I am at peace with it now. However, initially I went into panic mode. To me, cutting that handful of hair symbolized Max making another small transformation into toddlerhood. I like to prepare myself for such events. It's not easy for me to "let go" of my baby. I kept thinking about how some of those strands of hair probably started growing while he was still in the womb. 

Ahh, just writing this is making me feel a little sad again. Breathe. Lol. 

I continued to tell Kirk that this is something we should have talked about. And more importantly, something I should have been present for. Although I did get to watch the last half of the hair cut. Kirk defended himself by claiming we did talk about cutting his hair. Hmm, I remember that conversation going like this. 

Me: Max's hair is getting a little long. Do you think we should cut it or let it grow?
Kirk: We should probably cut it soon.
Me: I think we should let it grow out for a little bit longer.

THE END. I must have missed the part of the conversation where we agreed to cut his hair. 

Oh well. As I said before, I am okay now. Max looks pretty adorable manly with his new cut. I'm sure it won't be the last emotional rite of passage I will experience as a mother. For example, I often think about when Lyla will want the  baby nursery decor removed from her room. I will of course surrender to her request, but it will be tough for me. 


It was a bonding experience for Kirk and Max. 
And I am happy his dad was the one to give him his first hair cut. 



 photo kailisig3_zpsdd012512.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment