We have missed the park a lot lately. This Texas heat can be a real fun killer sometimes. It is September but that doesn't mean cooler temperatures for us quite yet. Max hasn't been able to experience much park time as a walking boy and I'm just so excited for him. I decided we needed to push ourselves a little harder to adapt to this hot and humid weather. I noticed it "cooled off" to 87 degrees one day this week, so we loaded up the car and drove to the park.
Well. We it turns out that I'm not crazy. It is hot. I laughed when I discovered we were literally the only people at the park. Even the squirrels were hiding from the heat. It was so fun for me to watch them play together though. As we arrived, Lyla said to me, "Don't hold him, Mom. He can walk." or the other line that killed me was "No mom, you just stay there. I will show him." I tried to hide in the shade as much as possible, as Lyla and Max ran around for a solid half hour before I could convince them to leave. They both had sweat dripping off their faces. It's okay though. A little sweat is good for them.
For the most part, we have a fall schedule in a good rotation for the week days. We throw in grocery shopping and play dates [hopefully the park soon!] at random. I think having a schedule helps our days go smoother and I've noticed that Lyla has a happier attitude when she knows what is coming next. Most days I like to be done with breakfast, have the kids ready, and in the car for whatever activity or errand we have for the day by 9:00 am. It's best when we get home just in time for lunch and have nap time shortly after. I feel like getting out the door first thing in the morning gives us a slight sense of real world structure that is easy to miss out on by having the leisure of being a stay at home family. Plus, there is less shame in a lazy afternoon if we have a productive morning.
We started a music class on Wednesday mornings. It is totally cheesy and over the top. The teacher reminds me of a Disney character. Max and Lyla really love it. Their dance moves are hysterical. I really enjoyed taking Lyla to the Little Gym last year, but carrying Max in the baby harness was becoming physically impossible. It seemed like a hassle this year to arrange a sitter for Max every week just to take Lyla to gymnastics for an hour. Not to mention the extra expense of finding an individual activity for Max to participate in. It has to be fair. Geez. Lol. This is a nice family activity and suits their age group just fine for now.
After our return from Idaho I wasn't sure if Max would make the switch to a one nap rotation or not. To my surprise, he eased right back into two naps per day. It has been a delightful three weeks. Unfortunately, the only thing constant is change and this week he is resisting his morning nap. In the event the morning nap does occur, it makes his afternoon nap completely worthless. I think this is my cue that he is ready to make the one nap transition. We have tried out taking only one nap the last couple of days and he seems to prefer it. The only set back with one nap is he is ready for bed a half hour earlier and that means less play time with Dad.
In addition to the nap changes we are making, Lyla is no longer falling asleep as easily during her regular nap times. I would say, twice per week, she lays in my bed for an hour and half before I finally let her come out and play again. We have agreed that even if her eyes don't feel tired she has to have quiet time for a while. As long as she doesn't get grumpy I suppose I can adjust to this change. However, I am really hoping this is a phase and she will get back to her awesome afternoon nap sessions. I like having those two hours of solitude in the afternoon. It isn't easy being enthusiastic about ordinary tasks all day long and nap time gives me time to recharge my mom juice.

Quiet time for non-nappers during the afternoon is perfect for everyone. Even the busiest of kids need some down time. Good job on making Lyla rest even if she doesn't sleep, mama!
ReplyDelete