It was a little over a year ago when that moving truck turned down our street, signaling Kurt & Olivia arrived for their permanent visit. I can remember in the beginning how the sound of the train kept them awake at night. Then they learned we have children who do not sleep and they adapted to the non-silence of the night. I admire their tolerance and patience. They settled in and their title quickly evolved from roommate to family. Last weekend it came time for us to close this wonderful chapter in our lives, as the home they have been building is now complete. We are excited for them to spread their Texas wings!
BUT...
BUT...
Lyla & Max have such a strong connection with each of them, so it was hard to say goodbye. Fourteen months is a long time for a little kid, especially for Max. He surely doesn't remember life without Kurt & Olivia in it. I imagine this transition will have the similar effects of divorce on toddlers. They will adapt easily, but life will never be the same. I get emotional over the smallest change in any aspect of my life, so I knew I would struggle a little with this one. Change is hard. But change means growth and growth is good for everyone.
They witnessed so many milestones with us----Max crawling, walking, progression & regression with sleep habits. They survived the "terrible two" year with Lyla. They experienced potty training in all its glory and disgust. They saw us at our best and at our worst. We appreciate them. And although they are a short ten minute drive away, we are going to miss having them under the same roof.
These are a few [mostly kitchen] life hacks we learned from the Cox Family.
1. Heat tortillas on an open flame. There is no better way. I only struggle with this because it requires my full attention. No multi-tasking.
2. Wrap above mentioned tortilla around a hot dog. It's the best. The original method of using a hot dog bun causes an overwhelming amount of breading. And I'm proud to announce we are now a bun-free home.
3. Softened butter is as good as gold. Prior to my enlightenment I viewed it as another item to clutter my kitchen. But now its deliciousness holds a special place in my heart, and my cupboard.
4. Apple sauce is not a good substitute for oil. Let's be honest, healthy brownies that taste good do not exist.
5. We are now dependent on a toaster...another kitchen gadget I've always avoided. The one we grew attached to left with Kurt & Olivia. I might finally break down and buy one though. Those frozen waffles are a quick and easy Lyla breakfast.
6. A sharp potato peeler isn't a bad investment either. I had no idea my life was even lacking in that department. Olivia probably added a year to my life with that purchase.
7. Max loves scrambled eggs. I think eggs are disgusting so it never even occurred to me that my own children might think otherwise. However, they are a nutritious treat and I'm grateful he was introduced to them.
OH yeah, and last but not least, the thing we will miss the most is Olivia gazing lovingly into Kurt's eyes. She may hate me for this.
These are a few [mostly kitchen] life hacks we learned from the Cox Family.
1. Heat tortillas on an open flame. There is no better way. I only struggle with this because it requires my full attention. No multi-tasking.
2. Wrap above mentioned tortilla around a hot dog. It's the best. The original method of using a hot dog bun causes an overwhelming amount of breading. And I'm proud to announce we are now a bun-free home.
3. Softened butter is as good as gold. Prior to my enlightenment I viewed it as another item to clutter my kitchen. But now its deliciousness holds a special place in my heart, and my cupboard.
4. Apple sauce is not a good substitute for oil. Let's be honest, healthy brownies that taste good do not exist.
5. We are now dependent on a toaster...another kitchen gadget I've always avoided. The one we grew attached to left with Kurt & Olivia. I might finally break down and buy one though. Those frozen waffles are a quick and easy Lyla breakfast.
6. A sharp potato peeler isn't a bad investment either. I had no idea my life was even lacking in that department. Olivia probably added a year to my life with that purchase.
7. Max loves scrambled eggs. I think eggs are disgusting so it never even occurred to me that my own children might think otherwise. However, they are a nutritious treat and I'm grateful he was introduced to them.
OH yeah, and last but not least, the thing we will miss the most is Olivia gazing lovingly into Kurt's eyes. She may hate me for this.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment