Jan 8, 2015

Holiday Recovery Mode

We are moving slowly this first week of 2015 as we ease back into this thing called the real world. The past two weeks have been simply blissful. Christmas, New Years, Hali's birthday, Lyla's birthday, plus extra days off for Kirk. I must say for once in my life I feel partied out. This holiday season was very eventful and fulfilling and I'm glad it's all over. Haha! I'm exhausted. I wish I could hire a nanny, a maid, and a cook for a week so I could do nothing but sleep. Just one week is all I ask! Buuut my last name is not Kardashian, so the show must go on!



A few weeks ago we donated a bunch of retired toys to the Goodwill because I knew the kiddos were going to get a big haul for Christmas. I hate clutter. And please know that I don't use that word lightly, so that means I really really despise clutter. Apparently I underestimated the amount of gifts they would receive because there are still new toys that don't yet have a home. We have a playroom for a reason. I dislike all this overflow into the living room. It's fine for toys to visit but at the end of the day, that's not where they live. If they don't fit in the toy box then they belong upstairs! Can you feel my rage!? Ha. It's just pretend rage. 

So! Today I did a second playroom cleanse. There were some toys I hesitated evicting the first go around, such as the very first teething toy I bought for Lyla. Yeah. Well. It's a freaking teething toy. It's time to "let it go." Baby Lyla is long gone. I have love in my heart and the memories in my brain. I don't need this silly toy for any of that! [I'm convincing myself here.]

Let's see...I tossed some loud irritating toys and anything that needed batteries or hasn't been played with in six months. I moved a bunch of stuff that requires adult supervision into a closet. I think we still basically own every toy in existence, but at least I feel a little better about the situation. And I think there is finally enough space for all the new stuff. Phew! Maybe I can make it another year living in this toy infested jungle.

Max received a tool bench for Christmas from his aunt and uncle. After clearing some space, we finally moved it into the playroom. He insisted on pushing it against the wall on his own and arranging the tools to his liking. Then after he finished, he took a step back and admired his work, or so it seemed. It was really hilarious. He often plays with Lyla's mini kitchen and although we share ALL toys for the most part, I think he was excited to set up his own little area in the playroom.

My next project is dress up organization. The collection is growing and it is basically scattered throughout the entire house. It's bothersome to me. I've been searching for a dress up closet but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I think the image in my brain is something I made up. I like the idea of building it myself, but I'm not sure my carpentry skills are seasoned enough for a task like that. Not having adequate storage for dress up clothes is a serious first world problem, so I'm not really making this a top priority at this point. 

Lyla's dollhouse replaced the changing table in her room. Her new CD player now sits in the location of her lulluby/white noise machine. And now she has requested an Elsa poster!? I fought back the tears as I took a looked around and realized her room is making the transformation from baby room to kid room. Ugh! So sad. Bittersweet. She is really enjoying being three so far. She talks about it every day. She is very fond of her birthday decorations, so we are letting those linger around for a few extra days. It seems really strange but she has been acting different ever since her birthday. Kirk agrees! This exact same thing happened when she turned two. She turned all psycho terrible two child the day after her birthday last year. We aren't sure if our minds are playing tricks on us or what is going on, but Lyla definitely seems older and more mature since her birthday.




This is a little bit of an embarrassing story. But this blog is a no judgment zone, so if you're judging...GET OUT. :-) I was throwing a bit of a fit today after Max dumped the bathroom garbage can completely upside down, emptying all of its creepy contents. I don't do anything like hit or call names, I just growl and whine like a child sometimes. It's pretty pathetic, but mostly only happens when Max is on a hot streak. aka tornado mode. We all have a breaking point, right? Well. Lyla noticed my behavior and said, "Uh Mom. What is going on with you? Can you be nice? Max is my little brother." I stopped in my tracks and told her thank you for calling me out. I'm proud of her for sticking up for her little brother, even if he was being a menace. I know better than to "cry over spilled milk" and I know Max is only going to learn from the way I react to a situation. It turns out having a three year old around is going to keep me in line! I'm grateful for these moments. 




No comments:

Post a Comment