Jan 5, 2015

Lyla: Age Three

Lyla's day started out as it usually does, in our bed. She woke us up first thing in the morning with her sweet little voice saying, "Everyone. Everyone. I am three now." She seemed so very pleased to announce her new number. She opened her presents from us. A new CD player so she can blast Frozen music in every room of the house. A brave gift, yes I know. I told her I would make anything she wanted for breakfast, assuming she would request waffles since they are her favorite. To my surprise, she asked for a peanut butter sandwich. An odd request indeed, but simple enough. No complaints from me since I spent five hours slaving away over a birthday cake the night before!



Lyla spent the entire day in her Elsa dress. We decorated the house and prepared for the small party we planned for later in the afternoon. Originally I objected to the idea of a Frozen party. Frozen consumes pretty much every aspect of our lives and my brain is feeling a little lot mushy. We are drowning in Frozen memorabilia over here. Then Kirk chimed in with his logic and pointed out that it is isn't my birthday. It's Lyla's birthday. She deserves to celebrate in Frozen style if that's her wish. So I surrendered to the Frozen themed party, just for Lyla. I generally think character themed parties are pretty cheesy, but we kept it simple and I think it turned out pretty cute.

Lyla said her favorite part of her party was the cake, the decorations, and the people. She loves people. And she loves to party! She may only be three, but she has a nice group of family and friends who joined us to celebrate her birthday. She definitely enjoyed their company and having the spotlight.




It's difficult for me to really grasp the fact that she is three now. She is still the same vibrant, observant, determined, stubborn little person as the day she was born. Yet, she is growing growing growing and learning so much. She soaks up knowledge like a sponge. She rattled off my phone number the other day, including the area code. This isn't a skill we've ever practiced. This proves that she is always listening and she is a smartie pants! Her sense of sarcasm seems to be developing nicely as well. And for anyone who doesn't know us, that is a must have quality for survival under this roof. She even made her first "your mom" joke recently. It was pretty great and totally unexpected. Parent teacher conferences could get interesting....but we'll cross that bridge when we get there!

Lyla's day ended with a true birthday meltdown. She mumbled something about Elsa and sprinkles, while forcing out some tears. As she unwillingly climbed into bed, she said in the most dramatic voice possible, "I don't want to be three ever ever again!" Her head finally hit the pillow and she fell asleep instantly. It was a good day to turn three!

I'm looking forward to many more adventures, laughs, and dramatic performances from my baby girl as she continues her path to that age four life mark. She is a blessing in our lives and brings us so much joy. 

Yuck...my heart sank while typing out "age four." Let's not discuss that again for a LONG time. 

I love you, Lyla girl.



No comments:

Post a Comment