May 21, 2015

More on Idaho

We spent a total of 25 days in Idaho. That is a long freaking time. I started feeling homesick after about the first week, pulled out of it when Kirk came to visit for the weekend, then it came back in waves for the remainder of our trip. As long as we kept busy, then my mind wouldn't wander to that place of missing my home. I think the most difficult phase for the kiddos was the first week of being away from home. It was overwhelming for them to see so many new faces. They eventually adjusted really well though and got so used to being spoiled by grandparents that they very well may have forgotten all about Texas. As for Kirk, he managed to make the most out of his temporary bachelor lifestyle. He binged out on video games, Top Golf, and the luxury of sleeping in. But overall he said the house was too quiet and life was boring without his family. He definitely missed his nightly fan club waiting for him in the driveway after work. 

I unpacked our bags immediately upon arrival back to Texas because I was utterly sick of living out of a suitcase. I was doing a pretty good job at keeping up with laundry and staying organized the first couple weeks. Then I really just let it all go that last week and my suitcase was a good representation of my life --- a hot mess. That feeling of being a burden instead of a house guest was growing stronger. I was sick of the handful of enjoyable restaurants in IF, although grateful for grandmas who cooked often. My skin felt like sandpaper regardless of how much lotion I applied. I wanted my own bed back. I wanted to sleep next to Kirk instead of the kiddos. I was counting down the days to the end, then the thought of driving to SLC and spending a day in airports sounded dreadful and sent my anxiety through the roof.

Well. That last paragraph made my trip sound like a big pile of poop. I'm obviously skilled at complaining.  I wouldn't compare it to poop at all though, we had a wonderful time. It was really only those last few days that were really wearing on me. We spent so much time with all of our loved ones in Idaho, most importantly those coping with my uncle's passing. We celebrated my grandma's new marriage. We had a lovely Mother's Day. We created tons of lasting memories. The kids had a blast and I think both of them grew up extensively during our visit. I'm so grateful we made the decision to stick it out until the end. I can't think of another time in life when we will have the opportunity to be gone for so long. There are a lot of aspects to life in Idaho that I will always miss. And it's always hard saying "bye" to everyone, especially when I don't know the next time I will see some of them next.

But now we are home. All is well. All is normal again. I'm so so so happy to be back to our happy place in Texas. We arrived home and Lyla & Max basically leaped into Kirk's arms the moment they saw him, just as expected. They had giant grins on their faces and just kept staring at him. We took a tour of the house, stopping in each of their bedrooms to rediscover old treasures. Lyla insisted that we give a proper greeting to each and every one of her Barbies. Most of them were very delighted to see her again, but some were upset she left them in that cold, dark box for so long. We are hopeful they aren't the type to hold a grudge. 

I remained somewhat consistent with Max's sleep routines in Idaho. He took a nap regularly, although it sometimes happened in his car seat. The nights were fairly easy, as he was usually so exhausted he fell asleep instantly. The three of us shared the same bed regardless of where we stayed because snuggling is the best form of comfort around. Lyla, on the other hand, was a little trickier to maintain a schedule with. If I did put her to sleep, as I did with Max, she would cry for her own bed in Texas. It was heartbreaking and made me feel like the worst person ever. So I surrendered to her wishes and let her stay up with me or fall asleep on the couch most nights. She's always been more of a night owl anyhow. 

I knew our lack of bed time would sabotage any sleep habits we established in Texas, so the first night we got home I expressed my fear to Kirk. I was anticipating a long, miserable night ahead of us. We decided to just act normal and try putting them to bed as we regularly do. The kids were eager to read books and remembered all of our other silly rituals. I took Max to his room and once he realized I was leaving him alone, the madness started. Lyla, being a fierce competitor, joined him as well. We went back and forth for an hour and half, when finally the house fell silent. I know the process will get smoother and eventually it will feel like we never even left....eventually

Idaho never fails to provide a comforting and familiar feeling, but each time I return I feel a little more appreciative of the life we've built in Texas. I'm looking forward to spending the next several weeks at home with my little family. I am excited about getting back to being all domestic and whatnot --- I really want to go grocery shopping and I really want to put my groceries away. That honestly sounds heavenly. Ha! It's the little things. The kids have been keeping themselves pretty well entertained, allowing me to really dig into the exciting world of dog hair. I think I've eliminated one out of ten layers so far. It's good to be home.




don't mind stinky. her face is stuck like that,




 photo kailisig3_zpsdd012512.jpg

1 comment: