to pierce or not to pierce, that is the question!
I've talked myself in circles, gone back and forth,
overanalyzed to the max, and I'm driving myself crazy.
I need to make a decision, file it in the back of my
head with the archives, and be done with it.
because it's going to be a very long 18 years if
I'm already struggling with something this senseless!
The arguments I have been having with myself are as follows:
The arguments I have been having with myself are as follows:
If I get Lyla's ears I'm only continuing with the family tradition.
My mom had my ears pierced when I was only 3 weeks old.
It is not a family tradition.
That is just a lame excuse for you to justify getting Lyla's ears pierced.
Okay, yes. You are right.
______________________________________________________
If you don't pierce them soon it will only lead to
higher risk of her ears getting infected.
She will soon discover her ears are attached to her head
She will soon discover her ears are attached to her head
and they will become her new favorite toy.
But it's going to hurt. And she is going to cry.
But it's going to hurt. And she is going to cry.
I don't want to make her cry.
She will quickly forget about the pain.
She will quickly forget about the pain.
It will be easier to deal with her now,
rather than when she is a older and can complain.
Plus, when she is older you will likely make several
Plus, when she is older you will likely make several
attempts to pierce her ears before she finally musters
up enough courage to follow through.
So what! An important part of life is over-coming your fears.
Even if she chickens out 10 times, she will be so proud of herself in the end
and the sense of accomplishment will be all worth it.
_______________________________________________________
I want Lyla to make the decision for herself.
What if she doesn't even want her ears pierced?
What little girl do you know that doesn't want her ears pierced?
What little girl do you know that doesn't want her ears pierced?
Well, none. But what gives me the authority
to alter her physical appearance?
to alter her physical appearance?
You are her mother. You have absolute authority.
I don't want to corrupt her innocence. She is pure and perfect.
You are really overthinking this. Babies with pierced ears are adorable!
I ask myself this...
Why is it embedded in my head that my little girl needs her ears pierced?
Why can't I just let her be a baby?
Why can't I just let her be a baby?
As a parent, I know there will be a lot of decisons I have to make for Lyla.
A lot of those decisions she probably isn't going to like very much,
but she's just going to have to deal with it simply
because I'm the adult and I know what's best for her.
I will always make decisions when it comes to her health & safety.
However, I'm going to try my very hardest to allow
I will always make decisions when it comes to her health & safety.
However, I'm going to try my very hardest to allow
Lyla the freedom to express herself when it comes to her physical appearance.
After debating with myself and weighing the pros and cons,
After debating with myself and weighing the pros and cons,
I've decided all my reasons to pierce her ears are selfish ones.
And although it would be super cute, I think I will resist the urge.
I know in the long run she probably isn't going to care
whether I pierced her ears or let her make the decision for herself....
but it's an important decision to me now. I care now.
What's the rush anyhow?
And although it would be super cute, I think I will resist the urge.
I know in the long run she probably isn't going to care
whether I pierced her ears or let her make the decision for herself....
but it's an important decision to me now. I care now.
What's the rush anyhow?
Eventually she will be influenced by her surroundings

Kaili,
ReplyDeleteFirst, I'd say if you're thinking about it, then your mommy intuition is telling earlier is better. I was like you, really wanting it done, but didn't know when best to do it. However, seeing so many babies and little girls with cute earrings kept me coming back to having it done as an infant. I asked our ped who encouraged me to have it done early when mommy could care for them.
Second, admittedly, I know a lot of people have strong feelings when to pierce a child's ear. "Let them decide" is being replaced by parental decision when mommy intuition knows, "earlier is better" from either personal or friend's experiences of unpleasant childhood ear piercing. I think it just depends on your own personal choice whether or not you wish your baby or little girl to have pierced ears. However, I think you've made the decision and are just waiting for the right time. I was uncertain too and kept going back and forth. However, my ped had her dd's ears pierced at 8 wks and when I found the right person, I was at ease and went ahead and was glad I did!
Third, some feel perceived gender of their child is important while others find it a cultural tradition where all infant girls have pierced ears. I pierced our oldest daughter's ears when she was two months old and our youngest at just days old. We found an experienced individual where they specialized in infant piercing.
Fourth, my advice is to do them one at a time to insure they are perfectly centered. This may take 15 seconds longer, but will make sure they are not crooked later in life.
Firth, if you don't know how she'd look at any age, then hold up a pair of your studs to each ear and decide for yourself. Many moms including myself like the look of earrings on babies and little girls for no specific reason, but like how light plays off a simple gold ball on a bald baby girl or small gold hoop poking through the hair of a toddler.
Sixth, cerebrally, as mothers of girls of all ages, we know it celebrates their femaleness and femininity. After all, they are little girls, right?
Growing up I remember many of my little girlfriends were not allowed to get their ears pierced. I could never understand it...but when their parents did finally let them, it always seemed they'd get infected because they were constantly touching them or trying to change out the earrings before they were supposed too. Many said it was painful, but all cried having a great deal of angst leading up to and including the actual ear piercing.
Lastly, just when is the best time to pierce your daughter's ears? It is when you are ready to care for them during the healing phase. They are very easy to care for. If you decide to do it as a newborn or infant, then I promise she'll thank you later!
Kaili, maybe it is time to give your dd the "gift of pierced ears" as your mother did with you as an infant. Sounds like your ready for sure when you said, "... babies with pierced ears are adorable!" Place a pair of your studs up to your dd's ears in front of the mirror and see if she looks feminine or not? Warning: when she smiles, your going to take her to have her ears pierced ASAP.
If you or any moms would like our ped's tips, then don't hesitate to write me an e-mail.
Angie
angietune@hotmail.com
umm, thanks for the input. but who the heck are you?
ReplyDeleteKaili,
ReplyDeleteSorry I didn't identify myself in my comment. I was searching for my GF's blog with a similar name and came across your interesting blog. I began reading and when I came to your post whether "to pierce or not to pierce," I just wanted to comment on my experience.
Hoped my comments helped your make a informed decision.
Angie