Sep 11, 2013

Fading to Fall


As I mentioned in an earlier post, 
I don't feel that we experienced very much of summer this year. 
As such, I didn't really think I would notice a change as we emerge into fall. 
It certainly doesn't feel like fall. I am so eager to wear sweaters & boots,
 but then I step outside and realize I'm still living in a sauna. 
I suppose it is cooling off at night, finally. 

Anyway, back on track. 
Although the trees aren't changing colors, I do feel a change. 
Perhaps it's just the 'back to school' season all around. 

We aren't in school, of course. 
But I guess it feels like we have established a fall routine for ourselves. 
Gymnastics started back up for Lyla and we are going to story time at the library again. 
And as soon as I get my hands on a double stroller, I'm joining a baby boot camp group. 
It looks super nerdy!

Some additional updates include:


Lyla is blurting out new words every day. Not kidding. 
Her latest words include okay, yes, and sorry.
Very simple words, yes. But it's allowing us to have real conversations and it's quite cute.
For awhile the only response we could get was "NO" for anything and everything.

For example, if we ask her to do something [or not to do something]
she says, "okay" in the sweetest little voice I've ever heard.

If she falls down or bonks her head now she says, "I'm okay." 
Also in the sweetest little voice. I'll never get sick of hearing it.

She says "work" when I ask where dad is. 
She says "dinner" when she is hungry. 

We are still working on please & thank you. 
Sometimes she will say please, only if I beg though.


And my sweet little Max. He is ticklish all over. 
It's adorable. I don't remember Lyla being ticklish this young.

Also, I swear he looks different every day. 
His toes are hitting the bottom of the bassinet when he sleeps, 
which makes me think it's time to transition him to the crib. [attempt #2]

I'm really dreading it though. I think mostly because I'm feeling lazy.
Lyla was moved to her own room by Max's age, but her room was right across the hall.
His room is all the way upstairs and I don't want to run up there every time he wakes up. 
It's so convenient right now to just bring him in bed with me, 
let him find the boob, and drift back to dream land.

I know the longer I wait the harder it will be. 
Apparently he is at the prime age for a little "sleep training." 
At least that is what all the books, websites, and parenting crap I read says. 

I really suck at letting them cry or "self soothe" or fuss it out. 
Whatever it is, it gives me anxiety. It's true. 
I'm still wondering where I went wrong with Lyla. 
The girl who still wakes up occasionally screaming bloody murder.
 Poor girl. Why can't I just make babies who love to sleep? 

I'm suddenly seeing flashbacks from various articles claiming it's the parents
job to teach babies healthy sleep habits. and it's best to allow them to learn.
blah blah blah. People really have baby training down to a science.
My method is to snuggle them as long as possible.

Everybody has sleep issues though it seems. 
I get frustrated about it, then I think about a kid who throws a fit every night
 at the idea of going to sleep and/or wakes up at 5 a.m. ready to get the party started. 
Yeah, I don't think I want to trade my problems for any of that.

One thing I know for sure is everything with babies is a stage. 
Don't get used to one thing, cause it will change again.
Sooner than I think Max is going to be Lyla. [walking, talking, etc.]

I think we have officially closed the baby book with Lyla and opened the toddler section.
Which means a whole new world I know nothing about...disciplining. 
It's weird and makes me feel bad sometimes.
She isn't a bad kid. She actually listens pretty well
Just teaching her manners and right from wrong, that sort of thing.

It's made me realize how judgy I used to be of other parents. [before I became a parent]
Always thinking, "I will never let my kid do that..." 
Often rolling my eyes at obnoxious children in restaurants, etc. 
And imagining myself as such a better parent than other people. [even my own friends] 

But guess what. My ego quickly learned to calmed the *beep* down.
 I'm not the perfect parent I always thought I would be, 
but I'm trying to do better and be better every day.
 And I think most people are doing the best they can too. 
That's all anyone can ask for.

I apologize to all the people I judged for being so judgy.
I never knew how challenging being a parent would be.
Now the only person I'm judging is myself!



 photo kailisig3_zpsdd012512.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment