Sorry to blast my blog with more talk about baby sleeping habits, but I just got to do it.
I keep going back and forth between what I want to do with
moving Max to his crib and getting him to sleep through the night.
I'm certain all this thinking is burning a hole in my brain.
I read about so many different methods, ideas,
and people claiming to have the magical sleep secret.
As I was rocking him to sleep tonight, I suddenly thought of something.
Maybe babies don't come with a training manual for a reason.
I mean, technology allows us to share stories and
experiences from across the globe and it is great!
But it also makes [me] over analyze to the most extreme possible.
Maybe a mother is meant to figure out on her own what
works for each one of her babies individually.
All babies are different so obviously what works for some, won't work for all.
I'm really not against the cry it out method. I do think it works.
It gives your baby the opportunity to self soothe.
But who says they are meant to self soothe?
Isn't that what I am for, as their mother? To soothe them?
It's not like I'm faced with a baby who is confused between night and day.
He simply needs a little help going back to sleep when he wakes up.
Whether that means a dream feed, a pacifier, or just some snuggles.
There isn't a magic trick. I know that for sure.
I remember being faced with the same challenges when Lyla was so young.
And looking back, the sacrifices I had to make seem so minimal now.
I don't ever regret rocking her to sleep.
In fact, those are some of my favorite moments.
Eventually she was able to fall asleep on her own
and eventually she started sleeping in her own crib.
I can't remember when it happened, but it did, just as it will with Max.
So, I think I'm just going to keep on doing on what we are doing.
No books. No methods. No sleep training. No whiskey. <- joke. calm down.
I'm just going to do what works for us and what feels right.
What feels right now, could be different in a month, and that's okay
because I'll say it one more time---everything with babies is a stage.


No comments:
Post a Comment