My grandparents are visiting Texas this week and today we ventured to Old Town Spring. Side note: I'm slightly upset I have lived here for 1.5 years and nobody has taken me to this wonderful place!
Anywho! Upon arrival, Max resisted sitting in the stroller. I only mention this small piece of information because I think it's what first started his meltdown. The first store we checked out was full of different stones and crystals. I've read about the healing properties amber can have on teething babies. As I was looking for some amber, Max reached his hand in another container of stones and tossed one in his mouth. I fished it out and, as expected, he got mad at me. This was not an unusual reaction to not getting his way.
The weird part was that he would not let it go. He became even more mad as I attempted to distract him with something else. It got to the point that I had to take him outside the store, where his anger level continued to rise. He was screaming in such an unfamiliar way, I literally thought he was in pain. I could barely keep him in my arms because of the way he was lunging his body into the open air. I was getting a little worried something more serious might be happening, so we all went back to the car. My motherly instinct is typically spot on and it's an uneasy feeling when you can't figure out why your baby is crying---it's not something I experience often.
I stripped Max down, took off his diaper and examined him for anything that might be causing discomfort. I thought maybe he bit off a chunk of the rock and it was sharp. I wondered if he swallowed the rock chunk and it was now stabbing his insides. I thought somehow the rock he tasted was naturally spicy or perhaps numbing his mouth. I come up with weird ideas sometimes. I know this. Anyway, I couldn't find any externally physical reason that could possibly be making him so upset.
By this time my grandparents were searching Google for an urgent care clinic. I'm not kidding. I gave Max a boob snack [aka nursed him] for a few minutes and my grandma wiped him down with a damp towel. Then suddenly everything was fine. He was crawling around my front seat, making cave man noises as if nothing had happened.
We concluded this was Max's first tantrum, or as my grandma put it, he's tired of being "Mr. Nice Guy." It was completely ridiculous behavior from a ten month old. I'm really hoping this was a fluke and Max wasn't giving a preview of what he has in store for the future. For the rest of the afternoon he had a smug look on his face and his attitude suggested he was quite pleased with himself.
We stopped for lunch and Max kept tossing pieces of bread off the table. As he did this, he would throw his head down on his arms and laugh hysterically. I think he was testing his limits. I am telling you, it was all very strange & very naughty behavior!
There is something about places like Old Town Spring that I really love. I love the sense of old town community. I love the historical buildings. I love the quaint little boutiques with hand made items. I think in another universe somewhere there is version of me living in an old ghost town with a little gypsy shop full of crystals and magic potions. I would read auras and do energy readings. I wouldn't have to deal with children having episodes of psychosis like I did today. ;-)
Ahw, yes. That sounds like a nice place to live.



No comments:
Post a Comment