Life is feeling normal again. It really is a constant roller coaster. I know I already mentioned it, but the holidays really wiped me out this year. I am finding some much needed peace in the mundanity of everyday life. I occasionally have to remind my adventurous spirit that my two little toddlers are creatures of habit and our family runs smoother when we follow a routine.
The gray and gloomy skies took a break last week and we were finally able to spend some time outside. I love taking the kids to the park to burn off some energy because 1. they love it. 2. my house stays cleaner. 3. everyone sleeps much better after a couple hours of fresh air. A regular dose of sunshine seems to help stabilize my sanity, as well. Max climbed up the rock wall at the park, a skill Lyla only mastered this past summer. He is also jumping with both feet off the ground. His physical advancements ease my mind when I worry about his vocabulary not progressing as quickly as Lyla's has. I guess what's the point in talking when you have a big sister to do all the talking for you.
I have decided to conduct an experiment this week in regards to Lyla taking naps. It may seem odd that I would willingly retire nap time --- especially since she was still taking awesome naps, leaving me with a pretty easy going afternoon. The issue is bedtime rolls around and she takes nearly two hours to fall asleep. So. After a little brainstorming, I have allowed Lyla to ditch her nap. As much as I love my free time during the afternoon, I actually enjoy my alone time with Lyla just as much. That is, as long as she is in a good mood. In exchange for no nap, she is having a quiet-rest time followed by a three year old activity. [three year old activity: any activity that is typically ruined by little brothers.] Lyla is very appreciative of this new schedule and gets a smug little look on her face every time I take Max away for his nap. And, even more importantly, she is falling asleep within 15 minutes at night and sleeping soundly until morning. That means no creeping into our bed in the middle of the night. I am still declaring this an experimental phase of no naps, but it's working out really well so far. If she reverts back to being all psychotic and delirious in the late afternoon we will return to the land of naps. If you're a sleep snob, well listen up --- she is getting the same amount of sleep either way, it's just distributed differently.
What else is new around here. Max is trying to do some growing up of his own too. He has decided he no longer requires a high chair during mealtimes. He sees Lyla sit at the table like a big kid and has decided he is entitled to the same. I really wasn't ready for him to make this transition because he doesn't like to stay put at the dinner table. He stands. Sits. Stands. Jumps. Gets down. Pets the dog. Gets back up. Drops food. Picks it up. Dances. --- all with his cheeks stuffed full. His middle name really should be danger. At least in the high chair he was contained, but his back-arching ways in protest to the high chair have prevailed in this disagreement. I always thought, as a parent, I would control every situation for my children. The truth is parents pick their battles, very carefully. The high chair isn't a battle worth fighting for me. It should only take a couple weeks for him to either start imitating Lyla by acting like a civilized child or crack his head open.
What else is new around here. Max is trying to do some growing up of his own too. He has decided he no longer requires a high chair during mealtimes. He sees Lyla sit at the table like a big kid and has decided he is entitled to the same. I really wasn't ready for him to make this transition because he doesn't like to stay put at the dinner table. He stands. Sits. Stands. Jumps. Gets down. Pets the dog. Gets back up. Drops food. Picks it up. Dances. --- all with his cheeks stuffed full. His middle name really should be danger. At least in the high chair he was contained, but his back-arching ways in protest to the high chair have prevailed in this disagreement. I always thought, as a parent, I would control every situation for my children. The truth is parents pick their battles, very carefully. The high chair isn't a battle worth fighting for me. It should only take a couple weeks for him to either start imitating Lyla by acting like a civilized child or crack his head open.
Max is the proud new owner of big boy undies. big boy pants? Hm. Anyway, I wouldn't say we are officially potty training quite yet. I just want to familiarize him with the process and allow him to get comfortable with the idea of using the toilet. He already idolizes his big sister, so the opportunity to wear underwear was definitely exciting. He is eager to sit on the toilet as well, but his attitude changes as soon as his cheeks hit the seat. It's totally fine at this stage. My hope is that by the time he turns two in May, he will be more interested in making the switch. Toddlers seem to cooperate better when they think something is their own idea. I am SO looking forward to life without diapers!!!! I never thought that day would come, but I think the finish line is finally within reach.






No comments:
Post a Comment