Mar 6, 2016

Daddy-Daughter Date

We were having lunch at Chic-fil-A last week as we noticed an employee walking around the dining area informing any dad-type figure of an upcoming 'daddy daughter date' event. This happened on a weekday afternoon and we were not accompanied by Kirk, so I guess our dad-less table made us unapproachable or something. However, that did not stop Lyla from overhearing the lady spreading the news about this date night business. I was a little surprised when Lyla took the inititive to stop the employee as she passed our table to ask her what exactly she was talking about. Lyla's face lit up as she explained in detail a very elegant evening for dads and their daughters, including tables covered in white linens, decorated with flowers, and lit by candlelight. 

Lyla informed Kirk about the event at her first opportunity to do so. Although Kirk was as excited about a date at Chic-fil-A as you could imagine, he still accepted her invite...because how could he not? I think he was secretly hoping she might forget all about it by the time the day actually arrived, but this girl seriously does not forget anything. I repeat, anything. Sometimes she will bring up an event that happened before she even turned two or details of a blurry memory I can only vaguely remember. I usually just stare at her intensely for a few seconds whenever this happens because I'm pretty sure she is really some sort of mutant super human with a rare memory ability. Then I realize I'm probably nuts when I start asking questions about what it's like inside my womb. Okay, off track, anyway...

The date night arrived and Lyla was on cloud nine before it even began. We got her all fancied up and she patiently waited until it was time to leave. I insisted on a photo-shoot, which was fine because my family has gotten pretty accustomed to me forcing them into photos. I can't say I'm sorry about that...because I'm not. I don't even have to bribe them anymore. Kirk and Lyla departed for their date and I could tell Max was feeling left out. He will be okay though. I gave him lots of love and it's his turn for a special date next time.

They returned home and I was surprised to learn they went to BJ's restaurant instead of Chic-fil-A, especially considering how excited Lyla was about going to Chic-fil-A. Kirk swears it was all Lyla's idea and she pleaded to go there instead after they started driving. I might believe that, only because I know Lyla is super fascinated by the revolving door and is a big fan of their root beer. I'm still skeptical of how exactly that change of plans went down though. Regardless, it was a lovely evening for the daddy-daughter duo. Lyla requested to go to TjMaxx after dinner [smart move] and Kirk claims she was very hilarious as she led him all around the clothing section. She came home with some new Nike shorts and a surprise gift for her little brother. It was very sweet of her to think of him during her date.

I had to laugh when I noticed this unfamiliar attitude about her when she arrived home. It wasn't a sassy attitude, more of an attitude of confidence. I'm not exactly sure the best way to explain it, but she definitely had a little pep in her step. I mentioned it to Kirk and he said she was acting the same way all throughout their date. I think she was feeling very pleased knowing she had daddy all to herself for the evening. 

They have gone on little dates together before, but I think all the anticipation leading up to this one is what made it so special for Lyla. It's an occurrence that will most definitely happen more often.

PS >>> Lyla is looking so grown up lately. I can't handle it. 







Kirk asked me to point out that he is not going for the hipster-dad look with the collar buttoned to the top. It was meant to be a joke, but then he forgot about it. Hahaha



 photo kailisig3_zpsdd012512.jpg

2 comments:

  1. This is so sweet. Lyla is definitely looking and acting much more mature. Kirk's hipster outfit goes perfectly with his hipster hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe I'll tell him you think so!

    ReplyDelete