Feb 5, 2014

New Month

January was a challenging month---parenting wise.
We made a lot of changes & the babies made some big strides.
Time felt like it was going by incredibly sloooow, but what do you know, it's already February!


Lyla turned two! That's a big deal.
Her new outbursts aren't as shocking when they occur.
I know she isn't being malicious or trying to be defiant. 
She is just being two & figuring out what this big world is all about.
Plus, generally she really is a good listener. 
She has a gentle, sweet spirit & is such a wonderful sister.

She ditched the nighttime bottle. That's got to be tough.
And dare I even say it, she is potty trained. Undies all day long.
No diaper at night & she has even used the potty in public. 
Public restrooms generally give me the creeps & I try to avoid them all together.
But I've learned there are two types of people who can't exactly 'wait' like the rest of us...
1. pregnant people. 2. toddler people. 

I find myself saying "ew don't touch that" at least 20 times each visit.
My other favorite is, "for the love of god, do not crawl under the stall." 
That was fun. I was basically defenseless, as I was mid-pee myself.
We are still struggling with pooping process. Different sensation I suppose.
I'm not worried about it. I'm impressed by her progress already. She's a smartie.
Anyways...different topic.


As you know, Max started crawling. 
He is definitely cruising from room to room now.
He advanced from the unsteady turtle-like pace in a matter of days.
And with that, he has started pulling himself up on furniture and/or human legs.
This has resulted in a lot more injury to that noggin of his.

Which reminds me of another 'mother of the year award' moment.
The other morning he crawled right off the bed. 
I don't know if I should tell the truth or lie: which sounds worse?
[did I fall asleep or was I awake & not paying attention..]

The truth is I dozed off after Kirk got into the shower and suddenly I heard a thud. 
He was perfectly fine. However, in my half-asleep haze I initially
 thought his nose was pressed flat against his face. 
Oh Max. I have a feeling that won't be the last time you make my heart sink.

I remember Lyla being such a cautious baby compared to Max.
Whether it be stairs or the edge of my bed, she would always  stare off the edge from
 a distance, as if she knew it wouldn't be wise to inch any closer.

Oh well. Max is a boy. Boys get bruises.
I suppose I'm not really the over-protective type parent.
For the most part, I let him explore and figure out that 
balance & coordination stuff without restriction.

The one exception to that statement is bath time. 
Suddenly, Max has transformed to Evil Knievel in the water.
This includes trying to pull himself up on slippery items and 
submerging his face underwater mid-crawl.
He thinks this behavior is hilarious until he starts coughing
 up the gallon of water he swallowed.
It's a delightful experience.
 He is limited to one inch of water until further notice.

Further, Kirk & I have surrendered to the persistent sleeping issues. 
We don't want everyone in the house to suffer from sleep deprivation and 
after many battles, we've accepted that we are the house of never ending newborn syndrome.
It is what it is & it won't last forever. 

Max seemed to be sleeping better after a weekend of sleep training boot camp.
Then his two top teeth emerged and with that, he went back to his old ways.
Lyla seems to be falling asleep easier, but continues to wake up
 in a state of panic at least once per night.
By morning, both babies end up in our bed.  

It's hilarious cause I always said I would never allow that. 
I do admit, I love the cuddles & watching their peaceful faces as they sleep is a beautiful thing.
Although, one thing that would make this family bonding time more enjoyable is a bigger bed.
I'm considering starting a charity. Obviously it's for a good cause. 

Life continues to move at lightning speed & I'm excited for what's in store this month!


 photo kailisig3_zpsdd012512.jpg

1 comment: