My mom and dear old grandpa drove to Texas just to see us! It took them five days to get here, they spent five nights at my house, and I'm guessing it will take them five days to get home. I wish someone would invent a teleportation machine already so they could spend all 15 days with us.
Grandpa is broken and fragile on the exterior, but he doesn't let that get him down. His spirit is just as fiery as ever! I think he enjoyed his time in Texas and he kept commenting on how beautiful it is here. Yes grandpa, I was equally surprised to find something other than sand and cactus too.
Grandpa is broken and fragile on the exterior, but he doesn't let that get him down. His spirit is just as fiery as ever! I think he enjoyed his time in Texas and he kept commenting on how beautiful it is here. Yes grandpa, I was equally surprised to find something other than sand and cactus too.
Grandpa is a pretty low-maintenance house guest. [with the exception of making several trips to the pharmacy---remind me to never get old.] He is pretty much on the same schedule as Lyla and Max --- requires a a nap around 2:00 p.m. and is ready for bed by 8:00 p.m. So this made our daily adventures short and sweet. His only request was to find a hat with "Texas" on it and some postcards to send his friends. Easy enough. In typical grandpa fashion, he brought four boxes of Idaho potatoes to spread among the people of Texas. Oh! Max took six steps during their visit, beating his old record of four steps on his eleven month birthday.
The pictures below are of the crew at Old Town Spring. If you remember our last visit to OTS then you remember Max had his first real meltdown. Clearly he was having a better day this time around. It must have been the whiskey.
The pictures below are of the crew at Old Town Spring. If you remember our last visit to OTS then you remember Max had his first real meltdown. Clearly he was having a better day this time around. It must have been the whiskey.
As they pulled away and drove down the street, Lyla looked up at me. Her lip started quivering as she said, "I'm going to miss grandma." Lyla makes a lot of witty/clever/sweet comments, but sometimes she is coached into saying these things. This phrase came directly from my little girl and it slammed into my heart reaaaaal hard. It was such a sad & sweet moment. I'm glad to see Lyla is growing attached to her grandparents. It's something I feared would be impossible after moving to Texas.
The only reason I'm sad to see my mom go is that I can finally throw away the left over fast food she insisted on keeping in the fridge. Seriously. Saving fast food is just weird and I know way too many people that do it. When she initially put it in the fridge, I kept my mouth shut about it. But by the third day of it going untouched, I asked if we could toss it. "No!" She proclaimed. "I will take it with us on the drive home so grandpa has something to snack on."
Yum. Five day old fried chicken. Cold chicken, I might add. It probably grew legs by now or started sprouting feathers. I tried to save grandpa by offering her $10.00 to stop and get him fresh & hot chicken, but no...they.must.not.be.wasteful.
She knows I tease her about this, so it's okay to write about it on my blog. I just don't understand it. I'm a self-admitted food waster. Maybe it's a mentality that will change in me as I grow older. But for now, I will stick to being a left-over-saving hater. Especially fast food.
We will miss my momma, and her chicken saving ways.
Oh, and we will also miss her sleeping with Lyla. It prevented her sneaking down to our room.
The family of four sleeping arrangement can be a little too cozy.
Oh, and we will also miss her sleeping with Lyla. It prevented her sneaking down to our room.
The family of four sleeping arrangement can be a little too cozy.





No comments:
Post a Comment