For the first time in forever... [ <-- frozen reference. mom moment.]
Anyway, yes really, for the first time in forever we used a non-family babysitter. a stranger. an unfamiliar face.
This was a little bit of a scary experience because
1. There are some freaks out there
and 2. I was completely unsure how these babies of mine would behave.
This was a little bit of a scary experience because
1. There are some freaks out there
and 2. I was completely unsure how these babies of mine would behave.
They aren't away from their momma very often!
However, it was a perfect evening and I'm so happy we ventured into the world of babysitters.
I will start by explaining how I discovered our sitter. I would like to believe she was a god-sent angel.
She was actually referred to me by a friend who nicknamed her "the baby whisperer."
She had nothing but good things to say about her and
promised that once I met her my nerves would be instantly calmed. She was so right.
The moment I met her I knew everything would be totally fine.
Keri has this warm and welcoming energy about her.
She is a mom of two girls and started sitting for younger
families cause she missed her girls being babies.
Plus, her name is Keri and since all the other Keri's [Kari] in
my life are wonderful, I knew we were already off to a good start.
I spent all day preparing Lyla for the evening away from her mom and dad.
This is arguably a bad idea, but that's generally how I roll when it comes
to exposing Lyla to new experiences. I like for her to know what's coming next in her little world.
I remained optimistic throughout the day because she initially seemed excited about the idea.
Then, Keri arrived and Lyla clung to me like I was suddenly going to disappear forever.
Surprisingly, Max acted similarly. I need to remember that he listens and
understands more than I realize sometimes.
Luckily Kirk was stuck in traffic and I was able to hang out for about 45 minutes
before sneaking out the door. That gave the kids enough time to relax and warm up to Keri.
Their first time meeting her was only the day prior, so I can't blame them for shedding a few tears.
Once they were interacting with Keri and showing signs of happiness,
it helped to ease my undeniable guilt that was creepin' through my bones.
We went to the Dave Matthews concert, only a ten minute drive from the house, but somehow I was still nervous about leaving my babies. We arrived to the concert and as we were waiting in line I started noticing all the fashionable people surrounding me. cute clothes, cute shoes, cute hair styles.
I commented to my mom that it was weird seeing people outside my typical mom community.
It was sorta as if time stood still, as my eyes wandered around in shock wondering where all the strollers and yoga pants were. There were no babies to be found!
I made a point to soak it all in---because although I love my babies with every bone in my body,
it felt so good to just breathe. I think Kirk and I even remembered to hold hands.
We got to step outside of our parent bubble for an evening. I really enjoyed it.
We were long overdue for a date night and I think keeping that balance in any relationship is important.
The concert rocked and I enjoyed every sip of my $11.00 beer.
Keri offered to come again for a second visit, so the kids must have charmed her at least least a little.
I pumped a bottle for Max before we left, but Keri said he seemed
very offended that she would even offer it to him. Ha! I found this very hilarious.
Max is a boob lover and it's going to be a hard habit to break.
My mom batteries feel recharged.
I can't wait to give Keri a call next time we need a night out of the house.



No comments:
Post a Comment