Busy. That would be the best word to describe our lives lately. I like busy, but it makes time fly by even faster than it normally does! I can't believe there are only a few more weeks left of summer. It will likely be blazing hot around here for a few more months, but it still feels like the season is coming to an end when I start hearing the buzz of going back to school and Target puts their winter boots out. It makes me laugh because I know some Texas natives will be pulling out their cardigans as soon as the temperature drops below 80, but I tend to hold out a little longer than that. However, this is the first year I feel like I'm truly tolerant of the Texas climate. I will always choose the crisp mountain air given the option, but I've been pleasantly surprised to find myself actually enjoying the heat & humidity lately --- meanwhile all of our visitors have been melting alive. I pity them. I know how unbearable it is, initially.
Libby is on the final stretch of her trip. This is her third summer visiting and I think we can officially call it a tradition at this point. Yay! She committed to being away from her happy place [aka home] for three weeks this year and, naturally, has powered through a couple bouts of feeling homesick, which is something I can totally relate with. However, combine that with the very raw wound of losing her dad and her best friend within months of each other and I can't even comprehend what that must feel like. It's been a challenging year for her and I admire her strength. I love her so freaking much.
Despite the roller-coaster of emotions, we have been having a lot of fun together too. We finally visited the beach, something that just wasn't possible the first two summers. We canoed Lake Woodlands, an adventure that's been on my list for many moons. We signed up for another painting class, featuring a super funky lion. We played at Top Golf, been swimming like fish, visited the botanical gardens, got pedicures, massages, gone on movie dates, and shopping escapades. We also got to enjoy an evening with Jordan, who is helping Sandy move from Kingwood. I normally don't list activities like this but I seriously couldn't remember anything we did last summer. I think my brain was mush from all the wedding planning, or maybe it was the meth. Ha. Jk. Just checking if you're still reading. She is super helpful with the kiddos too. I'm certain she thinks they are the cutest and most irritating creatures in existence. They love her mucho. We are all going to miss her, although I know she is counting down the hours to being home with her momma. And I know that's exactly where she needs to be.
I feel like my future self could happily operate a bed & breakfast someday, perhaps it's my destiny as an empty nester. I do enjoy it. It's always been in my nature to take care of people. I intend to start blogging more regularly again once the dust settles from the chaos. The kids continue to grow and change rapidly. I'm happy they have established strong bonds this summer with some amazing people, as well as made some incredible memories --- regardless or not if they will remember them in the long run. This summer has been grand, even better than I could have imagined. I think I accomplished my goal of saying "yes" more and easing up on the idea of the way I think life is supposed to be. I think it's important to try on the goggles to several different outlooks on life. That means dishes can sit in the sink for a few hours and I don't even feel mad. Talk about liberating!






No comments:
Post a Comment