You will never have this day with your children again.
This day is a gift, breathe and notice, smell and touch them;
study their face and little feet and pay attention.
Relish the charms of the present.
Enjoy today Momma, it will be over before you know it!
-Jen Hatmaker
As I read this quote tonight, it became clear to me that I am constantly trying to create adventure for these babies, make lasting memories, and hurry their growth along because well, that is what any good mother would do. If I'm not planning out every minute of our day, I often find myself fighting with a two year old, which is always a foolish and strenuous battle. I'm learning to choose those battles more wisely.
My role as a stay at home mom is so much more challenging than I ever imagined. There are definitely some days that sitting at a desk for eight hours sounds like a vacation. I am grateful for the opportunity to stay home and enjoy these years with my babies, but I have to remind myself every day to just sit back and observe. It would be such a shame to miss the little happenings that are taking place right under my nose, as I'm too busy trying to figure out when and where the next memory should be made.
I try to find those small things and enjoy them, to listen to the quiet moments and relish in them, and to watch memories write themselves on the pages of our books. The simple moments are big moments for Lyla and Max. Sometimes catching a glimpse of something small but significant is so much more valuable than the planned activity, that too often gets rushed through anyhow.
It is true, it will be over before I know it.
It is true, it will be over before I know it.


No comments:
Post a Comment