We started touring preschools several weeks ago and I
quickly learned I was entering a whole new territory I knew nothing about. The idea
of Lyla going to Pre-K this fall has been exciting and somewhat sad, because
time has passed by oh so quickly. I should clarify, she is not sad about it one bit, her mom and dad are the ones wondering where the time went. We toured several schools and eventually determined
what type of atmosphere would be best for Miss Lyla. We were in the midst
of finalizing our decision when Olivia mentioned an opportunity at the school where she works. Abercrombie Academy is hiring for an administrative position in
their preschool office and the timing of receiving this information seemed oddly
convenient. I wasn’t looking for a job, nor was I looking to put Max in
school a year earlier than planned, but I decided to explore the opportunity
anyway. I put a lot of trust in the natural timing that occurs in life.
The first thing we did was tour the preschool to determine
if it would be a good fit. It turns out it is exactly what we had been looking for and it put
all of the other tours to shame. We loved it. Then it came time to decide if enrolling
Max in school would be a good decision, especially since it goes completely against
my mindset when it comes to schooling. I am a stay at home mom, which is a
huge blessing in itself and a big reason why we moved to Texas in the first
place. I had zero intentions of putting a three year old in school. And I still
stand firmly on the opinion that preschool is not necessary to raise a happy,
healthy, smart child.
I never attended preschool and I'm normalish. I don't know if it's a difference of social norms in this
area or just a generational thing, but there is a lot of pressure to put
children in school at three or even two years old. I've been on the receiving
end of the look of death when I start chatting with a mom at the park and she
learns neither of my kids are in school. I always respond in my best duh tone,
"No, my kids are not in school because they are two and four years
old." There is no crime in not sending kids to school until Kindergarten,
but a lot of parents feel differently on this subject. I did not allow this
pressure to contribute to any decision because I think it’s stupid. I just
wanted to make blog readers aware of the pressure that exists in case you have
been out of the parenting business for a while.
After much research, counsel from family and friends, and
pure instinct I decided this would be a good decision for our family. It
was a bit of an emotional struggle for me to come to the realization that
Maxwell going to school will have more of a positive impact than any negative
one I had imagined. As much as Maxwell will be learning at his new school, he
will perceive it as nothing more than having fun. It is completely play based
and I think that’s important. It is only four hours per day. And definitely not
a rigorous schedule of academics, which I had originally envisioned.
I know Maxwell is going to love it. He will thrive in an
environment where he can make new friends, have independent experiences, and
probably have more fun than he would with me all day. It was a tough pill to
swallow when I asked him directly if he would prefer special “Mommy and Max
time” or go to school like Lyla. He, of course, replied that he wants to go to
school just like Lyla. And even though he is only two years old, we try to consider
his desires as much as possible.
I applied for the position and as of August, I will be
working part time and both kiddos will start school. It will be such a blessing
to be on location while my kids are attending school. I will work the same
hours as school is in session, so we will never be burdened with the conflict
of coordinating schedules for transportation or holidays. And I get to attend
all the fun activities they have going on throughout the year. The world is a
scary place and in some ways this is giving me a sense of safety that I feared
I would lack in sending my kids to public school. It seems almost too good to be true.
We are so grateful for this unexpected opportunity and excited to see what the future
brings. If all goes well, Lyla and Max could potentially attend through 5th
grade. Time will tell.



Now the school will be 3 times better.
ReplyDeleteThat's right, grandpa! Love you!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete