There was once upon a time when it took so much effort to entertain Lyla and Maxwell throughout the day. If I wasn't keeping their little minds stimulated, they would be biting at my ankles crying about life and what not. It seems those times are changing. We are entering a new stage of life where these two little creatures will actually entertain themselves, and dare I even say it....play together. I've waited so long for this moment, so it's baffling that I now feel guilty when I look at the clock and realize they've kept to themselves long enough for me to check several items off my boring adult list. The days of never using the restroom in solitude were seriously not that long ago. I still love playing pretend with them and I will always try to prioritize it, but it's nice feeling like I'm actually accomplishing more than just Barbie duty all day.
They still fight as often as they play. I break up wrestling matches several times a day, but I assume that behavior will last forever. I know it's still going strong between me and my little brother, who I love dearly. Max can be a little on the aggressive side. However, as you can imagine, Lyla is quite bossy when it comes to playing with Max, so it all evens out. He usually complies, willingly, to her commands and I've even caught his superheros waiting patiently at the doll house door for Barbie or Elsa or whoever else to answer. She makes him clean up his mess in her room too. Ha! They are the cutest.
In related news, all this together time is paying off. Lyla and I are now bilingual members of the household. Max kept repeating "yum non yum" the other night to Kirk, who tried his best to interpret but failed to do so. Lyla and I walked into the room when Kirk asked us to figure out what Max was saying. Almost simultaneously we said, "Wonder Woman!" It was a "duh dad" moment.
This is unrelated to the blog post overall, but I just remembered it as I was thinking about Max's growing vocabulary. I was making dinner this week when I heard Max proudly announce the words "hot dog." He was rummaging through the fridge as I was gathering ingredients and I thought to myself, "Wow! He is saying that word really well. That is so neat. I wonder if he wants a hot dog for dinner." Then my eyes wandered across the kitchen and stopped at the dog in the hall way. The dog eating a hot dog. Nice play, Max.
This is unrelated to the blog post overall, but I just remembered it as I was thinking about Max's growing vocabulary. I was making dinner this week when I heard Max proudly announce the words "hot dog." He was rummaging through the fridge as I was gathering ingredients and I thought to myself, "Wow! He is saying that word really well. That is so neat. I wonder if he wants a hot dog for dinner." Then my eyes wandered across the kitchen and stopped at the dog in the hall way. The dog eating a hot dog. Nice play, Max.
I've neglected to take any photos while spying on these cuties playing together, so here is a photo of them doing the exact opposite in the community bed.


No comments:
Post a Comment