This post was supposed to be combined with the last one, but the words started flowing about the soccer situation and I got a little carried away. This blog is self-serving like that. So I went ahead and separated this post from the crazy vent session.
Anyway, this Texas heat makes it undeniable that summer is here at last! I considered gearing up for a weekly summer routine, but I think we could all use a break from a structured schedule for awhile. I made a commitment to let go of our schedule this summer and just go with the flow instead. I'm a little hesitant to do so because I do enjoy planning out our activities on a weekly basis. As I'm tucking Lyla in for the night, she always asks our plans for the following day and I'm always quick to respond with an exact play by play from morning to night. This summer I want to take it day by day, moment by moment. I'm going to step outside of my comfort zone and see where life takes us. My new response to Lyla's nightly question is, "we are going to do whatever we want."
Lyla and Max aren't babies anymore. And as much as I miss them being those brand new beautiful creatures, I'm honestly enjoying them now more than ever. I love watching their personalities blossom. I love seeing their bond grow. It's really easy going being a parent right now. We are all best buddies and I think I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Lyla is a big story teller nowadays, she uses "actually" as a filler word in her sentences and it's hilarious. She likes to ask me to tell her stories about myself from when I was three-ish. I tend to make up details now and then, but overall I enjoy reminiscing with her by my side. Max is in a do-it-myself phase, which proves to be equally as hilarious as Lyla's vocabulary. He is also so affectionate and I'm grateful for his loving energy. He literally forces me to sit down on the couch and snuggle him --- not that it requires a lot of convincing to cuddle him, but you know what I mean.
I've been reminded far too often lately of how quickly life can be taken away from us. Life is short, too short for some. It's been eye opening for me. Grief is powerful. I need a change of direction this summer. I need more spontaneity. I'm not going to wait around for memories to happen --- I'm going to make those happy memories right now! My new philosophy is to do more and worry less. I want to say "yes" more. There will be no regrets and no holding back. I want to prioritize what we want over what we need, even if that means just for the summer. I'm so fortunate for this time I have with my kiddos and I'm going to make the most out of every minute.
This little summer experiment may cause life to fall a little too far to the chaos side of the spectrum. I'm not sure if peaceful chaos can exist for me, but I'm determined to find out. We can always make change for balance in our lives when nature is ready for another seasonal shift.






No comments:
Post a Comment