We had a birthday party yesterday to celebrate the one and only Maxwell. Although a majority of the guests were adults, I always have fun creating a festive atmosphere at the house for the little kids. I think I would still decorate regardless of an actual party or not. It's my favorite thing. It will likely only be enjoyable for me for a short time --- fast forward a few more years and the kids will start making their own demands for their birthday. I admit, I suspect I will feel slightly disappointed when Chuck E. Cheese makes it to the birthday party request list. That disappointment will remain silent, of course, and I will pretend that Chuck E. Cheese is the most awesome place ever! I suppose it probably is when you are nine. Yes, I am hoping to avoid Chuck E. Cheese until someone turns nine. And until that time comes, I will be in charge of the party!!! Umm control freak cough cough cough....Ha. :)
Alright. The weather forecast predicted rain all weekend, so we made the decision to cancel the water slide we reserved for the party. There has been some major flash flooding going down lately and we didn't want to risk it. Well. It turns out the weather report was wrong, big surprise there. <- Not. The water slide would have been really fun, but everyone had a good time anyway. And most importantly, Max never knew the difference about the lack of water slide at his birthday. I mean...he is only two...his expectations are very low. We have several more birthday parties in years to come to possibly incorporate a water slide. Kirk had to bring out some good ol' logic to convince me that cancelling the water slide would be alright.
Max opened his gifts from us first thing after waking up in the morning. I'm still questioning who was more excited about the present opening --- the birthday boy himself or his big sister. Spoiler alert: Lyla was the one bursting with excitement. Max received additional gifts from our family and friends. Olivia made him an awesome superhero blanket. He got a new Rockets hat, several toy cars, a giant batman, a bubble machine, and a sweet lego set. However, it was obvious that his most favorite gift came from his aunt and uncle --- a new bike! They even included a super tough looking helmet. Max is obsessed and has already tested out his new bike in the streets. It's a little bigger than the bike he was previously riding around, but I know it won't take him long to improve his skills and master this bike as well.
We had cake and ice cream...duh. I only mention this because Max blew out his candles while we were still singing. He gets a free pass for being an inexperienced candle-blower-outer, but I still lit them again at the end of the song because I'm a freak like that. Then, I'm unsure if anyone else even realized what he was doing, but he started singing again to himself before blowing out the candles for the second time. I love his little singing voice. He is adorable.
Overall, I think Max had a wonderful day, surrounded by so many people who love him. There was non-stop playing and adventure going on until 8:00 p.m. And when I finally put him down for bed, he fell asleep in under one minute. He was exhausted in the very best way. I stared at him for a few minutes to let it sink in that he really is two years old now. I simply can't believe it. I do my best to soak in every moment with my babies, their body language, facial expressions, the sweet sound of their voices, and touch of their skin --- but it all seems to happen too fast no matter how hard I try to slow things down.
Maxwell, I am blessed beyond measure to have you. Thank you for choosing me to be your Mom. I love you!











No comments:
Post a Comment