Jun 11, 2015

The Summer Mom Lost Her Marbles

Hi!

In an attempt to save myself from sounding like a lunatic, I would like to clarify my intentions described in my previous post. It's fine if you've already made up your mind regarding my mental state. I just keep thinking about how everyone talks all the time about "living in the moment" --- how many people actually live in the moment? I think it's challenging for everyone to detach themselves from daily distractions. I know I would be lying to myself if I said I live in the moment every day. And even when I try, it seems I can't help but think about tomorrow, or even what will happen an hour from now. I think about dinner while I'm eating lunch. It's in my nature to plan plan plan. I enjoy the feeling of being constantly busy, but I often wonder if I get so caught up in thinking about the future that I overlook the present. The present moment is the only thing guaranteed to me, so shouldn't it be first priority? 

I need to channel this grief into something worthwhile. So this summer I'm going to try my hardest break away from our norm. This does not mean we are going completely rogue. I still have to keep our household running at a somewhat functional level. We will still very much enjoy things like nap time. In fact, Lyla has returned to the land of naps ever since we got home from Idaho. She must have forgot that she was on a stretch of rejecting them. I appreciate the return of that lovely gift, however, I don't depend on nap time to regain my sanity as much as I used to. It's not until the end of the day when I'm ready to tap out and therefor, we will also still follow a flexible bed time schedule because Kirk and I would probably cry without the sweet sound of silence to end our night. 


We are simply going to seek more adventure. For example --->


1. We will wear superhero costumes at 7:00 a.m. Yep, that happened. It's impossible to match their energy level at that hour. 

2. If Lyla asks if she can put her swimsuit back on after nap time, I will say heck yes! Yep, that also happened. That was a tough one since I had already cleaned up the pre-nap swim mess, but still totally worth it. 

3. This also means I will have to try hard to let go of the guilt I sometimes feel while we are having fun and Kirk is working a 10+ hour shift. We love you, Kirk!


4. And we will eat ice cream out of the carton because we can. 





 photo kailisig3_zpsdd012512.jpg

1 comment:

  1. So this is what you call work. ��������������������������������

    ReplyDelete